Friday, July 2, 2010

Tucker - Travelling On

On Monday, I got the results of Tucker's triglyceride tests; there was no change from three weeks ago. The vet wanted to do a cholesterol test but when I asked why, it was just to see if there had been any change in those levels as a result of being on a low-fat diet. Since Tucker has really only been on the low-fat diet for two weeks (I took one week to convert him over from his old food) and since there really is no treatment, other than diet for hyperlipidism, I decided not to have any more blood tests done at this time. In mid to late September, I'll have the triglyceride and cholesterol tests repeated to make sure his levels are, if not lower, are at least remaining steady. The vet said that it is likely that he is predisposed genetically to having higher cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

We've cut out nearly all of the people food, he still gets two bites of my toast in the mornings and some vegetables and a little meat once in a while. For treats, he's getting sweet potato/duck treats and carrots. So I am also hoping that he will lose some weight, which certainly couldn't hurt.

I have noticed that he has a little more energy and that he has less difficulty laying down and getting up so perhaps even though the blood tests didn't show any change, there has been some improvement. I'm hopeful that if he continues to improve that maybe in the fall he can do some agility trials at least Jumpers.

1 comment:

  1. Helen, thanks for stopping by my blog, and I'm glad I stopped here. It is so rare to see other bi-black shelties. So sorry to read that you recently suffered the loss of Ceilidh. She was beautiful.

    I'm glad to hear Tucker's health is improving with his new diet.

    ReplyDelete

We love to get your comments on our activities. Please drop us a line.