Friday, February 12, 2016

Three Day Quote Challenge - Day Three

Our journey with dogs, any animal I guess, has us having to go through the cycle of loss and grief sadly too frequently.  My quote for my last day is on my blog.



"Love knows not it's own depth until the hour of separation"

- Kahlil Gibran


This is an excerpt from the book The Prophet and, believe it or not, I have several excerpts in my journal. It is a wonderfully thoughtful book about life.

You think you know how much it will hurt to lose someone, a family member, a friend, a pet but I don't think you really do; not until it happens. And each time it is different, when I lost my Ceilidh to cancer it was the first dog that I have ever been with for the euthanasia. It surprised me that I wasn't more upset at the time but what I found was that afterwards the cycle of loss seemed to take so much longer to get through. Does it mean I loved her more, I don't think so, I just think her loss was more personal because I was there.

Ceilidh passed over to the Bridge in May 2010, the song Let Her Go was not released until July 2012. The first time I heard that song on the radio I was in tears, everything about Ceilidh's loss came back so fresh in my mind.  Songs have for me always held an association with each of dogs I have lost but I was surprised that two years after her passing this one touched me so deeply. It is now connected to the memories of my Ceilidh girl.

Video link to Passenger's Let Her Go




I guess that's life though and as the song says, you only know the highs when you're feeling low. We wouldn't know the exhilaration of those highs without the comparison of the lows.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy you participated in this challenge (will definitely keep you in mind for future ones, if they are quote-related) You picked great ones! DakotasDen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad, but true. And every loss is different. I guess that is because every love is different.

    ReplyDelete

We love to get your comments on our activities. Please drop us a line.